Share this post to:
You did it, your baby is almost ONE! They’re moving and grooving and getting into everything! The cake smash session is absolutely the best way to celebrate your little one moving into toddlerhood, and designed just for them! It’s not only adorable, but it’s fun for everyone and really celebrates all those huge milestones that your little one has learned over the last 12 months. Whether you’re finishing up your first year baby plan, or booking your little one’s milestone session individually… It’s time to PARTY!
But the big question… What theme should we do? Where do we even start?
My studio specializes in providing custom cake smash sets for your baby’s first portrait session. My goal in planning is to lead you in a direction that will help narrow your ideas, steer us away from the never-ending scroll that is Pinterest, and choose a theme that will be perfect for your little one. With one result in mind, a completely customized set that matches their sweet and individual personality.
Things to think about before choosing your theme
- Do you want to match your baby’s birthday party theme, or choose something different?
- Do you already have an outfit or style in mind?
- Are these images going to be printed for in your home or baby’s nursery?
- Are there any activities, colors, or themes that are important to you?
You are the biggest part in this planning process, and I am just here to guide you along the way. The options are endless, so we are going to work together to create a custom set that matches your interests! The goal is to have a cake smash session that you love, celebrate your baby’s very first birthday, and have FUN!
Interests & Personality
Interests and personality can be a pretty wide range, but typically fall within several categories. Most often, this is where that perfect cake smash theme comes from! I will list some ideas below, but truly, these options are endless!
- Career: Military, Firefighter, Police Officer, Mechanic, Teacher, Nurse/Doctor
- Hobby or Sports: Baseball, Football, Golf, Shopping, Hiking, Reading, Disney
- TV shows or Movie: Top Gun, Harry Potter, Space Jam, Ghostbusters, Ninja Turtles
- Baby’s Favorite TV shows or Movie: Blues Clues, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Boss Baby
- Favorite Songs or Book: The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Baby Shark, The Cat in the Hat
- Baby’s Favorite Food or Interests: Ice cream, Watermelon, Airplanes, Monster Trucks, Princesses, Bath time, Trains
Holidays & Seasonal Favorites
What season was your little one born in? This can be such a FUN way to add an extra little bit of meaning to that first birthday session. Were they born really close to or on a holiday, or during your favorite time of the year? Maybe include that!
- New Year’s
- Valentine’s Day
- St. Patrick’s Day
- 4th of July
- Fall, Spring, Winter, Summer
- Winter ONEderland
- Frozen (Princess)
- Winter or Penguins
The Great Outdoors
This could be flowers or a garden theme, hiking and fishing, or maybe even the cutest little barnyard animals because your baby absolutely loves them! The sky is definitely NOT the limit here, we could even do outer space! Outside, cute animals, and flowers… Enough said!
All About Color
Sometimes less is better, and that’s ok too! If you’d like to include colors that compliment your home, or your little one’s favorite color – we can do that! This doesn’t mean we only have to do one color, we will always add one or two complimentary colors to really make your setup “pop”!
My Personal Cake Smash Bucket List
- Dump Trucks
- Monster Trucks
- I love you a “Latte”
- Girly Glamour Circus
- Rubber Ducky
- Super Hero/Princess
- US Military
- Firefighter/Police Officer
- Very Hungry Caterpillar
- Water Park
- Wreck it Ralph
Next Steps… Let’s start planning!
Remember to keep in mind that booking in advance is required for your child’s session. Cake smash sessions are typically booked 4-8 weeks prior to your session date. I can’t wait to hear all about what you are interested in and have in mind! As always, feel free to reach out if you need any more ideas, there’s plenty! Send me a message HERE and let’s chat!